Meet our newest graduates: ASU's College of Health Solutions honored its students with in-person, online graduation ceremonies
For the first time in more than a year, ASU's College of Health Solutions celebrated the accomplishments of its graduating students in person, combining small, safe ceremonies with virtual events spaced out over three days in early May, launching a new group of individuals poised to change the future of health.
More than 1,000 undergraduate and graduate students earned degrees in behavioral health, biomedical informatics and biomedical diagnostics; kinesiology, sports and exercise science; health care delivery; health sciences and medical studies; nutrition; population health; and speech and hearing science.
“It was especially gratifying to celebrate with many of our students in person after all the obstacles they have faced during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said College of Health Solutions Dean Deborah Helitzer. “The graduates were excited, emotional and grateful for the opportunity, making the effort so worthwhile for our faculty and staff.”
The college held a virtual convocation ceremony and an online watch party in addition to several in-person events. About 350 students chose to attend the small on-campus ceremonies, which included a doctoral hooding ceremony, white coat ceremonies for Doctor of Audiology students and a full-day celebration that gave graduates the chance to have their name read, walk across a stage, be cheered on by faculty and staff, and take advantage of many photo opportunities.
“These students have had to adapt to incredible challenges that disrupted but did not derail their goal of earning a degree in health,” Helitzer said. “They have the knowledge and experience which will set them on the path to improve the health of individuals and populations by promoting wellness through better nutrition and exercise, improving the quality of life for people with chronic disease, physical impairments, speech difficulties and hearing loss, and by changing health policy and health systems through technology and data analysis. I truly admire their perseverance and resilience. They give me great hope for improved health for all the communities we serve.”
Enjoy the special moments and meet some of the college's spring 2021 graduates.
- Virtual graduation: Commencement address from ASU President Michael Crow, a conversation with Dean Helitzer, outstanding graduate and alumni spotlight videos.
- Cheers to Health watch party: Faculty toasts to students, reading of graduates’ names with slides featuring individual students’ photos and personal messages.
- Doctoral hooding ceremony for graduates receiving doctorate degrees, held in the Memorial Union at the Tempe campus.
- White coat ceremonies at the Tempe campus for third-year and fourth-year Doctor of Audiology students to receive their lab coats, signifying their entry into the audiology profession at the doctoral clinical level.
- Recording of the May 5 in-person celebration at the Downtown Phoenix campus, featuring the reading of graduates’ names as they walked across the stage to accept their diplomas.
Learn more about the Class of 2021 from these videos and stories featuring outstanding grads.
Meet our outstanding student awardees:
Terrell Brown, Outstanding Undergraduate Student
Clinton Stevens, Outstanding Graduate Student
Meet more of the college's students by way of their social media accounts and the photos they shared on Instagram.