Women's basketball schedule finalized
The ASU women's basketball team has finalized its schedule for the 2007-08 season. The 29-game regular season schedule includes the following highlights:
• The Sun Devils will be playing 18 games in Wells Fargo Arena this season, including a pair of exhibition contests against the USA National Team (Nov. 8, 6:30 p.m.) and the Chinese National Team (Nov. 15, 6:30 p.m.)
• ASU will officially open its regular season on Sunday, Nov. 11 when faces the North Carolina Tar Heels in the State Farm Tip-Off Classic in Chapel Hill, N.C. The game (scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m. locally) will be televised to a national audience by ESPN.
• In addition to its contest against North Carolina on ESPN, the Sun Devils have five other games - vs. USC (Dec. 30), vs. Stanford (Jan. 20), vs. Oregon (Feb. 2), at Stanford (Feb. 16), vs. Washington (Feb. 24) - aired to a national audience by Fox Sports Net.
• For the second time in three years, the Sun Devils will be traveling to Mexico for a Thanksgiving-week tournament. ASU will meet Iowa (Nov. 22) for the first time in program history and one day later will meet the Oklahoma Sooners. The Sooners have won both the Big 12 regular season and postseason championships each of the last two seasons. The two games are part of the Caribbean Challenge, which will be played in Cancun.
• On Nov. 30 and Dec. 2 the Sun Devils will be hosting the Verizon ASU Classic. This year's field includes Auburn, Gonzaga and UC Riverside. ASU's first round matchup against Auburn will be its first ever meeting against the Southeastern Conference school. A potential day 2 opponent for the Sun Devils is UC Riverside. Last March the Sun Devils staged a furious second half comeback to get past what proved to be a very formidable Highlander squad in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
• On December 13, the Sun Devils will travel to Lubbock Texas to take on Texas Tech. The game be a rematch of last season's outdoor contest played at Chase Field in Phoenix which was won by ASU 61-45. The game was called with less than five minutes remaining after rain began to fall.
• For the second consecutive season, the Sun Devils will be hosting Sparky's Kids to College Field Trip Day when they host Fresno State on Dec. 17 at 11 a.m. Last season, more than 5,000 fourth-, fifth- and sixth-grade students from around Maricopa County attended ASU's 92-52 win over UCLA. The event is a community outreach initiative designed to expose elementary-aged children to a university campus and intercollegiate athletics.
• The Texas Longhorns will be coming to Wells Fargo Arena on Dec. 20 for what figures to be an exciting non-conference matchup.
• The Sun Devils kickoff Pac-10 play on Dec. 28 when they host UCLA
Stay tuned to thesundevils.com throughout the season for more exciting announcements about upcoming promotions and special events taking place at ASU Women's Basketball home games throughout the season.