Arizona State University's School of Molecular Sciences recently held its annual Awards and Recognition Ceremony for outstanding students and their families at the Memorial Union on ASU's Tempe campus. The ceremony recognized undergraduate and graduate students who excelled in academics and research.
Eight achievement awards and five scholarships were presented to the most talented and deserving undergraduate students from the school's 1,200 chemistry and biochemistry majors. The fall 2016 and spring 2017 Dean's medal winners were also recognized. Each award was presented by a faculty member selected by the awardee, who also gave a short summary of their achievements and accomplishments.
Also celebrated were outstanding graduate student researchers, including the LeRoy Eyring Memorial Fellowship in Chemistry George Yuen Memorial Award, and the school's most impactful student teaching assistants. The Distinguished Instructor and Student Associates of the American Chemical Society Distinction of Merit and Scholastic Occupation Faculty Teaching Awards were also presented.
These awards and scholarships recognize the talent and hard work of the recipients, and also provide financial support that allows them to focus on their learning and academic progress, and this is certainly appreciated by the students.
“Considering how women remain underrepresented in STEM fields, being awarded this scholarship has positively impacted my college career by reminding me that, no matter the gender, there are very thoughtful and generous people who want to help ASU students succeed,” said Shannon Sipes, this year's Therald Moeller Scholarship winner.
Full list of award and scholarship recipients:
- George M. Bateman Memorial Scholarship: Lily Wayne
- SAACS Organic Achievement Award: Kimberly Kevershan
- ACS Division of Analytical Chemistry Undergraduate Award: Logan Tegler
- ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry Undergraduate Award: Victoria Woner
- ACS Division of Organic Chemistry Undergraduate Award: Julia Torline
- Therald Moeller Scholarship: Shannon Sipes
- Distinguished Chemistry Merit Award: Joshua Rabinowitz
- Distinguished Biochemistry Merit Award: Capria Rinaldi
- Wayne W. Luchsinger Chemistry Scholarship: Guadalupe Batista
- Arizona Society for Coatings Technology Scholarship: Hoang Nguyen
- Royal Society of Chemistry Certificate of Excellence: Grant Severson
- School of Molecular Sciences Scholarship: Kimberly Kevershan
- Dean’s Medal, Fall 2016: Havell Markus
- Dean’s Medal, Spring 2017: Patrick Almhjell
- LeRoy Eyring Memorial Fellowship in Chemistry: Brian Wadsworth
- George Yuen Memorial Award: Diana Khusnutdinova
- Outstanding Graduate Research Assistant Award: Shaojiang Chen, Chengchen Guo, Fan Hong, Kristin Johnson, Morteza Moghimi Waskasi, Anasuya Pal and Kirtland Robinson
- Distinguished Teaching Assistant Award: Patrick Almhjell, Steven Bentson, Jie Ding, Zahra Bahrami Dizicheh, Deborah Hernandez, Diana Khusnutdinova, Nikita Kumari, Colton Meyer, Rachel Ozeran, Donell Schmacht and Meng Wang
- Distinguished Instructor Award: Timothy Lamb
- Distinction of Merit and Scholastic Occupation (DMSO) Teaching Award: Alexander Green
More University news
ASU and Governor's Office co-create programs for substance-abuse prevention, job training
Arizonans will have better access to substance-use prevention programs and job training thanks in part to a pair of…
College of Health Solutions scholarship honors speech and hearing professor
James Case loved teaching. Specifically, he loved helping develop future practitioners and teachers in the field of speech-…
ASU professor earns Outstanding Postdoctoral Mentor Award
Arvind Varsani, professor in the School of Life Sciences, the Center for Evolution and Medicine and the Biodesign Center for…