Top Arizona businesses named Spirit of Enterprise Award finalists
Despite these rough economic times, some of the best businesses in Arizona are being honored for helping to boost our economy and our community. The W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University is naming 10 businesses as this year's Spirit of Enterprise Award finalists. The awards recognize companies that demonstrate ethics, energy and excellence in entrepreneurship.
Past award winners include such big names as Cold Stone Creamery and Sundt Construction, Inc., as well as success stories like the resurrection of the historic Grand Canyon Railway from near-bankruptcy to a flourishing business.
This year's finalists are:
1. Answer-1 Communications, a telephone answering and remote receptionist service that emphasizes efficiency and excellent customer service through the extensive use of technology, in addition to participating in two community benefits each month.
2. Caliente Construction, Inc., a woman-owned construction company with a repeat-client/client-referral rate above 85 percent, which has actually added employees and expects to see a 20-percent increase in revenue this year, despite the recession.
3. D. P. Electric, Inc., a fast-growing electrical contractor with a safety incentive program, an employee profit-sharing program and an in-house mentoring program for other minority businesses.
4. Elontec, a company specializing in technology, telecommunications and commercial relocation, which has a 99-percent customer satisfaction rate, extensive community involvement and a track record that includes tripling its gross revenues in one year, putting it on the "Inc. 500" list.
5. Express Digital Solutions, an authorized Xerox Corp. Agency that also specializes in electronic document management and paper document scanning. The company partners with Gompers Habilitation Center to employ more than 30 adults with disabilities.
6. Green Ideas, environmental building consultants who promote energy-efficient, water-efficient and healthy buildings through sustainable building practices and who were key in achieving the highest-possible "green building" certification for the only four Arizona buildings to receive that designation.
7. JSL Management, an integrated towing, scrap metal and auto recycling company that works closely with local law enforcement to assist with metal theft investigations and that doubled in size each year for four consecutive years.
8. Orchard Medical Consulting, a health care consulting and nurse case management company that strives to get severely injured workers back to their lives and jobs, and which has been named among the "Best Places to Work in the Valley" twice.
9. Scott Business Group, LLC, a recruiting, temp staffing and payroll services company that offers 24-hour customer support service, a comprehensive screening process and a focus on personalizing the job placement process.
10. Terralever, an award-winning interactive marketing and technology services firm that is an interactive partner with big names, including Facebook and Microsoft, but which also has a goal of helping small local companies with world-class online marketing strategies.
About 1,000 Valley business and community leaders are expected to attend the awards luncheon when the winners are announced on Sept. 24 at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa in Phoenix.
The awards are just one focus of the Spirit of Enterprise Center, which helps hundreds of businesses each year. The center offers companies the chance to recruit and meet with top student talent, while also allowing students to get hands-on business experience. Through the center, businesses can access short, non-degree programs for busy executives and create connections to other Arizona State University business resources. Teams of W. P. Carey School of Business students also conduct research to help Valley companies. The center is self-funded and utilizes community sponsorships and volunteers.
For more information on the Spirit of Enterprise Center, go to www.spiritofenterprise.org. For sponsorship opportunities or awards luncheon reservations, contact Gary Naumann at (480) 965-0474 or SpiritofEnterprise@asu.edu.