Skip to main content

Master's program reaches to United Arab Emirates


December 18, 2006

ASU's W. P. Carey School of Business is working with the United Arab Emirates ' (U.A.E.) Zayed University to deliver an executive master's degree program in health care administration to physicians, nurses and administrators.

The United Arab Emirates face significant challenges in their effort to make their country the health care capital of the Middle East . The government seeks to import advanced medical technologies, such as organ transplants, to their hospitals, but officials face a shortage of well-trained health care administrators.

The program is designed to train health care administrators and managers in an effort to build a world-class health services industry in the U.A.E. and meet the growing health care needs of the region.

Marjorie Baldwin, director of health management and policy at the W. P. Carey School , and noted health care industry researcher Eugene Schneller teach courses in a combination of face-to-face workshops and online learning.

Michael Owen, dean of the business school at Zayed University, sought help from three U.S. business schools, including the W. P. Carey School of Business, to develop a program that trains health care administrators. The first cohort of 21 students will graduate from the two-year program this coming spring. The group's capstone experience will be a trip to the United States, where they will visit health care industry leaders in Phoenix and other locations.

Health care in the U.A.E. is free to citizens, but only about 20 percent of the county's residents are citizens; the other 80 percent are foreign nationals who are guest workers. The health care system is under pressure to meet the needs of foreign nationals who can get health care free after buying a health care card for about $300.