Hear from top business leaders at 30th anniversary of economic speaker series
Top leaders from Starbucks and State Farm, as well as Arizona State University's athletic director (a former NFL executive), are among those headlining the new season of the Economic Club of Phoenix speaker series. Every year, Phoenix-area audiences are invited to attend the club’s luncheons and hear from some of the biggest names in the business world.
“We want to offer people in the Phoenix area the opportunity to hear directly from the heads of major local companies and international firms,” explains Amy Hillman, dean of the W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. “In this series, they cover both what’s happening in their own companies and larger trends in the business arena.”
The Economic Club of Phoenix (ECP) speaker series, hosted by the W. P. Carey School of Business, is celebrating its 30th anniversary. The club is now the pre-eminent Arizona forum for the exchange of ideas about business and the economy. Its monthly luncheons and other activities offer business leaders and others a chance to network and engage.
This season’s speaker lineup, subject to change, is:
• Thursday, Oct. 9 – Ray Anderson, athletic director and university vice president, Arizona State University & former executive vice president of football operations, National Football League – JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, Phoenix
• Thursday, Nov. 13 – Kevin Knight, chief executive officer, Knight Transportation – Arizona Biltmore, Phoenix
• Wednesday, Jan. 14 – Cliff Burrows, group president, U.S., Americas, and Teavana; Starbucks Coffee Company – JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa, Scottsdale
• Thursday, Feb. 12 – Michael Tipsord, vice chairman and chief operating officer, State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company – Camelback Golf Club, Scottsdale
• Thursday, March 5 – Elizabeth Crain, managing director and chief operating officer, Moelis & Company – The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale
• Wednesday, April 8 – Christopher Mapes, chairman, president and chief executive officer, Lincoln Electric Holdings; Dean’s Council Executive of the Year – JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, Phoenix
• Wednesday, May 6 – Annual Economic Outlook Luncheon – Camelback Golf Club, Scottsdale
All luncheons run from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Non-members are welcome for a $75 luncheon fee. Funds in excess of the cost of lunch are used to support scholarships and faculty research at the W. P. Carey School of Business.