Events bring awareness of homelessness, hunger
According to the Valley of the Sun United Way, more than 8,500 homeless people – including men, women and children -- live in the Phoenix area, and nearly one in 10 families in Maricopa Country lives in poverty.
These statistics often don’t hit home until one is forced to become one of them.
To help ASU students and staff become more aware of homelessness and hunger, the ASU Community Service Program will sponsor a series of events and activities during Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, Nov. 16-22. They include:
• Sunday, Nov. 16: Project Dignity, banquet for homeless youth, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Memorial Union. Volunteer to provide a restaurant-like environment for homeless youth. To volunteer, contact Ben Wood-Isenberg at ben.woodisen">mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Monday, Nov. 17: Hunger Banquet, 6-10 p.m., Memorial Union Arizona Ballroom (221). Sponsored by the Residence Hall Association. Contact Lindsey Kronforst at lindsey.kronforst">mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Wednesday, Nov 19: Empty Bowls, 11 a.m.-1 pm., southwest corner of Memorial Union. Purchase a bowl of soup and get a free bowl. All money raised will go to fighting hunger in the Valley. Sponsored by Programming and Activities Board. Contact Joe Denoncourt at joseph.denoncourt">mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Castle of Cans: Circle K International is conducting a food drive, through Nov. 19, and creating a castle of cans to bring awareness of issues of food shortage and hunger in the community. To donate or volunteer, contact Matthew Sweeten at msweeten">mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org
• Thursday, Nov 20: Toiletries Assembly Project on North Neighborhood, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., PV Beach. Help make care packages of toiletries for individuals struggling with homelessness. All materials will be provided. Sponsored by Devils After Dark and Community Service Program. For more information or to sign up, e-mail volunteer">mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Thursday, Nov. 20: Clothing Drive, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., outside of the Memorial Union and at PV/San Pablo area. Donate gently used clothing. Sponsored by Community Service Program Team Leaders. To volunteer for a shift or for more information on donating, contact: Megan Selvey at megan.selvey">mailto:Megan.Selvey@asu.edu">email@example.com or Jessica Krumtinger at jessicalacie">mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com.
• Friday, Nov 21: First Annual WE Care: YOU Care 2008, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. (3 shifts of 3 hours each). Sponsored by Black Graduate Student Association, Campus Environment Team - Downtown Phoenix Campus and First Institutional Baptist Church - The Hope Center. R.S.V.P.: bgsa">mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com with full name and shift chosen.
• Saturday, Nov 22: Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week Day of Service at two locations: Project Hunger, Phoenix Rescues Mission, 7 a.m. – 1 p.m.; Project Homelessness, UMOM New Day Center, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Register at: http://www.asu.edu/studentaffairs/mu/surveys/index.htm?sid=awareness_hunger_homeless.
For">http://www.asu.edu/studentaffairs/mu/surveys/index.htm?sid=awareness_hun... more information or to register for these events, go to http://www.asu.edu/mu/community">http://www.asu.edu/mu/community">http://www.asu.edu/mu/community or send an e-mail to volunteer">mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com, or call Mina Ahmad at (480) 965-9511.