July 3, 2012
For those die-hard fans and loyal Devils – you know who you are – Thursday, Aug. 30 has been circled on your calendar for weeks, with the words "Beat NAU" scribbled in maroon ink.
As you read this, there is a miniature Sparky standing triumphantly next to your computer monitor, right by a sign that reads: "May the fork be with you."
Download Full Image
You can belt out the ASU fight song in your sleep, and have on several occasions, according to your roommate or significant other.
On your Facebook page there is a photo of you standing arm-in-arm with Sparky. It's one of your favorite photos from your wedding.
Your summer road trip plans include a stop at Camp Tontozona where the team will be training Aug. 14-18.
You are wearing gold right now.
So, now that we have your attention, let's talk about tailgating – an important game time ritual that unites all Sun Devils, young and old. Starting Thursday, Aug. 30, when the Lumberjacks come to town, ASU will be hosting a tailgate party like no other. Actually, you will be hosting it.
Best of all, there is no setup or cleanup required and plenty of air conditioning.
Beginning this football season, Atlasta Catering is offering customizable tailgating packages for ASU faculty, staff and alumni that can be reserved in advance for the use of two rooms in the historic Old Main building on the Tempe campus, including Carson Ballroom and Basha Library, and four rooms in the University Club.
With a tailgate menu by Atlasta, a visit from Sparky, and an elegant Old Main / University Club setting, you, your friends, family and colleagues can tailgate in cool comfort and style, counting down the couple of hours until kickoff.
The tailgate package includes:
• chef's choice of tailgate buffet
• tables, chairs, white linens
• onsite staff
• setup and tear down
• visit from Sparky
• disposable/compostable plates, napkins, cups and flatware
• doors open 2 hours before game time
The locations available for the tailgate package are:
• Carson Ballroom at Old Main (minimum of 125 people)
• Basha Library at Old Main (minimum of 30 people)
• Bistro and Patio at the University Club (minimum of 50 people)
• Heritage Room at the University Club (minimum of 40 people)
• Traditions and Thoren Rooms at the University Club (minimum of 30 people)
Below is a list of ASU football home games, when the tailgating package is offered. The schedule, however, is subject to change. For a current schedule, visit thesundevils.com.
• Aug. 30 – Northern Arizona University, 7:30 p.m. kickoff – City of Tempe Night
• Sept. 8 – University of Illinois, 7:30 p.m. kickoff – Sun Devil Club Night, State of Arizona Employee Night
• Sept. 22 – University of Utah, kickoff TBA – Family Weekend, Hall of Fame Weekend, Faculty-Staff Appreciation Night
• Oct. 18 – University of Oregon, 6 p.m. kickoff – Ring of Honor Game
• Oct. 27 – UCLA, kickoff TBA – Homecoming
• Nov. 17 – Washington State, kickoff TBA – Senior Day, Sun Devil Salute to Service Day
ASU will host its inaugural faculty-staff tailgate Sept. 22 before the Sun Devils take on the University of Utah on Faculty-Staff Appreciation Night. More than 150 complimentary meals will be served to faculty staff on a first-registered, first-served basis. More information is to come about this inaugural faculty-staff tailgating event.
To reserve a tailgate location, request more information, or ask about smaller group accommodations, contact Steve Short at 602-721-9556 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following a reservation request, an Evite invitation will be programmed for you to send to your guests, and a web page for reservations and payments will be created and emailed to you (similar to PayPal). You will be contacted with your specific tailgate location once details are confirmed.
To purchase game tickets, contact Jeff Rucker at 480-727-3501 or email@example.com.
For special assistance with marketing your tailgating event, contact Jenny Holsman Tetreault at 480-965-2086 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you before the game ... and GO DEVILS!