Volleyball travels heads to the pacific northwest to face #8 Washington and Washington State
The Arizona State Sun Devils (9-8 overall, 1-3 Pac-10) will hit the road again this weekend as they set to face the #8 Washington Huskies (14-0, 3-0 Pac-10) and Washington State Cougars (9-8, 0-3 Pac-10). The Sun Devils will face the Huskies on Thursday, October 4 and the Cougars on Friday, October 5. Both games will start at 7 p.m. PT
Follow The Sun Devils Live!:
All of ASU's fans can also follow all of ASU's home matches, and most road matches, via the free statistical GameTracker at www.thesundevils.com. Also available for fans both near and far are video broadcasts of all home matches. For more information please visit: asu.newtier.com .
Recapping Last Weekend:
The Sun Devils hosted their first pair of Pac-10 opponents of the season last weekend as they hit the home hard wood to face #21 Oregon and Oregon State. The Sun Devils faced the #21 Ducks first last Thursday where they played with heart, pushing the Ducks to extra points in two games. ASU took game two in a bitter 42-40 fight, before the Ducks fired back to take games three and four, dropping ASU 3-1. Sarah Reaves had 28 kills on the night, which is a new Sun Devil freshman record as well as an ASU rally scoring record, topping Juliana Escobar's record of 27, which she had against the Ducks on October 18, 2002. Rebounding from the loss, the Sun Devils showed they were out for a win against the Beavers as they came out on fire to sweep the Beavers 3-0 and grab their first Pac-10 win of the 2007 season.
Series History vs. the Washington Huskies:
The series history against the Washington Huskies is 18-28 all-time in favor of the Huskies dating back to 1986. In last season's match-ups, the Sun Devils were swept twice by the Huskies.
Series History vs. Washington State:
Against the Cougars, the Sun Devils are 23-20 all-time. Last season, the Sun Devils topped the Cougars in Tempe 3-1 before taking the series with a 3-2 win in Pullman.
Quick Sets -- Release Highlights:
• Libero Sydney Donahue has recorded 10 or more digs in 86 of her 100 career matches, including a streak of 50 matches with 10 or more digs dating back to October 21, 2005 vs. USC.
• Sydney Donahue also currently holds the Pac-10 lead in digs and digs per game. After three weeks Donahue has 354 digs for a 6.32 per-game average. She currently holds the Pac-10 single-game match high total as well with 45 against Virginia on August 25th.
• ASU has the current Pac-10 match high for kills with their 88 against Utah Valley. They also pulled in 98 digs in the Utah Valley face-off, second in Pac-10 match-highs.
• Sophomore, Marina Mercer holds the season Pac-10 match-high for assists with her 73 against Utah Valley, she also holds second place in the category with her 72 assists against Oregon on September 27.
• Sophomore Paige Mittelstaedt is tied for lead in the Pac-10 for solo blocks in a match with her four against Iowa State on September 1st. She is also tied for third in single-match kill total with her 26 against Utah Valley.
• Freshman Sarah Reaves is off to a stellar start to her rookie campaign as she leads the Sun Devils in kills with 259, good for a 4.11 per-game average. She is currently second in Pac-10 match highs for kills after her 28 against Oregon on September 27. Her 28 kills are not only a freshman match record, but an ASU rally-scoring record, besting Juliana Escobar's 27 against Oregon on October 18, 2002.
Digging Her Way To The Top:
Senior libero Sydney Donahue is on pace to place her name all over not only ASU and Pac-10 record books (which she already has), but the NCAA ones as well. The senior currently has the single-season ASU and Pac-10 digs record and this season has already broken the career Pac-10 digs record, while inching up the NCAA records as well. Her current total of 2,099 puts her 13th all-time in NCAA history. Last season alone, Donahue had 742 digs as well as tying an all-time NCAA record of 50 digs in a match, which she did in three games against LMU on August 26, 2006.