Duplex printing cuts carbon output, promotes ASU sustainability goals


November 28, 2011

Setting printers to duplex printing mode across Arizona State University is helping save the environment one sheet at a time.

According to an assessment done by Canon on ASU printers during fiscal year 2011, the environmental savings from duplex printing saved more than 725 trees and 2.34 million liters of water, and reduced carbon emissions by more than 74 metric tons. Download Full Image

Decreasing carbon emissions and saving trees and water through a simple, sustainable solution such as duplex printing is due in part through the ASU-Canon Strategic Alliance Partnership. The objective of the ASU-Canon alliance is to create a new standard in university document output by building a Sustainable Digital University™.

“We are grateful to have the support of the Canon team to help move ASU closer to our 2025 carbon-neutrality goal,” says Ray Jensen, associate vice president, University Business Services, and University Sustainability Operations officer. “In one year, we were able to take 584 printers offline across ASU, and increase the number of devices supporting duplex printing to 36 percent, up from 19 percent in 2010.”

Canon capitalizes on technology to boost its effectiveness commitment to environmental and economical sustainability. The company mapped 6,660 copiers, fax machines, printers and scanners during fall 2010 and found that 10 percent of the ASU population needs personal printers. However, that leaves 90 percent of all ASU community members the opportunity to ramp up duplex printing, curb carbon emissions and reduce water and paper waste.

To achieve less carbon output and increase green-printing tactics, the Canon team regularly conducts site evaluations and makes efficient equipment recommendations, or provides exceptions to order outside of the Sustainable Digital University™ program. The site assessments yield important metrics surrounding the local-printer ordering process, insight about how individuals are embracing the ASU-Canon Sustainable Digital University™ program, and where, if any, improvements can be made.

“Gathering this valuable data supports our 2015 ambition to reduce the number of single-function printing devices at ASU from more than 5,400 in 2011 to 450,” says Robert Lane, director of digital document services. “To help ASU realize carbon neutrality, we will continue site-based printing equipment evaluations and work with sustainability practices leaders to recalibrate and enhance our green-printing strategies.”

Learn more about the ASU-Canon Strategic Alliance Partnership and schedule site assessments by visiting http://cfo.asu.edu/canon.

Wendy Craft

Marketing and communications manager, Business and Finance Communications Group

480-965-6695

Sun Devils close Old Spice Classic


November 28, 2011

ASU vs Wake Forest

Keala King had 25 points and Trent Lockett added 20 as Arizona State beat Wake Forest 84-56 in a consolation round game at the Old Spice Classic on Friday night. Download Full Image

Lockett had 14 points and King contributed 10 as Arizona State (2-3) took a commanding 40-21 lead at halftime. Consecutive layups by Kyle Cain and Lockett put Arizona State up 32-15 with 4 minutes left in the first half.

Wake Forest (3-2) got 17 points from C.J. Harris. He has scored in double-figures in all five games this season.

Chris Colvin's 3-point play gave Arizona State a 45-21 lead with 17 minutes to play. King hit a long-range jumper that extended the Arizona State lead to 59-31 at the 11-minute mark.

King had all six points for the Sun Devils when they grabbed an early 6-1 lead. Lockett's 3 made it 19-7 midway through the half.

Lockett had 15 points and seven rebounds in Arizona State's 55-44 loss to Fairfield on Thursday.

Wake Forest shot just 28 percent (7 for 25), compared to the Sun Devils' 59.3 percent (16 for 27) during the opening 20 minutes.

Wake Forest went four minutes into the second half before scoring. Harris ended the drought on his 3-point play.

This was the first meeting between Wake Forest and Arizona State.

ASU vs. DePaul

Cleveland Melvin had 18 points and Brandon Young added 13 to help DePaul hold off a late charge by Arizona State and secure a 68-64 win on Sunday in the fifth-place game of the Old Spice Classic.

Arizona State trailed by four points at halftime and throughout the second half before getting it down to a basket in the waning seconds. But Jordan Bachynski came up empty on a pair of free-throw attempts that would have tied it at 66.

Two free throws by Melvin on the other end then helped provide the final margin.

Arizona State was led by Keala King's 22 points, followed by Trent Lockett with 19. But the Sun Devils were hamstrung by 19 turnovers, a throwback to their tournament-opening loss to Fairfield in which they turned it over 22 times.