A message from Mark Searle and Morgan Olsen
Regarding the president's visit to Phoenix
Tuesday afternoon, ASU Executive Vice President and University Provost Mark Searle and Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Cheif Financial Officer Morgan Olsen sent the following communication to the ASU community.
We are writing to share some information about ASU’s preparations for the presidential visit tonight at the Phoenix Convention Center.
The ASU administration, ASU Police and the city of Phoenix Police Department are working closely with law enforcement officials to ensure the safety of everyone in the downtown area.
Officials are estimating very large crowds in the downtown area as a result of the president’s visit. Because of the expected impact on traffic and movement around downtown, ASU is taking some precautions.
1) Because of its proximity to the Phoenix Convention Center, classes starting at 3 p.m. or later in Mercado will be moved to other buildings downtown. If you have not already received information about relocated classes, please reach out to your instructor.
2) This afternoon, ASU will be directing traffic to the primary entrances of our buildings downtown. You are encouraged to have your ASU ID in case you are asked for identification by ASU personnel. While this may seem like an inconvenience, ASU feels it is necessary while the city has a large number of visitors to restrict access to people affiliated with the university. Please allow extra time when planning your movements around the city.
3) Parking in ASU lots will be impacted by street closures. Starting at 3 p.m. this afternoon, Parking and Transit Services will recommend — through onsite fliers handed out to those entering the Downtown Phoenix East Garage and the Downtown Phoenix Heritage Square Garage — that students with permits to park there are recommended to park instead at alternative ASU parking locations. In order of anticipated availability, they are:
• Cronkite Visitor Lot (UC II Visitor Lot, adjacent to Cronkite Building on Fillmore Street between Central Avenue and First Street)
• First Avenue Lot (south of Fillmore Street)
• Fillmore Lot (between Second and Third Avenues)
• Second Avenue Lot (between Fillmore and Van Buren Streets)
• Third Avenue Lot (between Fillmore and Van Buren Streets)
• Fourth Avenue Lot (between Fillmore and Van Buren Streets)
As you move through downtown today, please be aware of your surroundings, cognizant of others’ actions and patient as you move from place to place amid the congestion and traffic.